Friday, May 15, 2009

The Power of a Thank You

My mornings always begin early these days. Usually between 6 or 6:30am or so with usually little A or little J waking up ready for the day or ready for some snuggles back to sleep. And I'm always 'on duty' with Big J gone. Today I heard an unfamiliar whimpering around 6:15. I thought it was little J with a rumbly tumbly and was suprised to check and see him sound asleep. I thought perhaps he went back to sleep when I heard it again, coming from B's room. I peeked in and she was sad and crying. She'd had a bad dream. I knew it was too late in the morning for her to fall back asleep again and felt she needed some love. I climbed in bed with her to give her some snuggles and she welcomed it. After a little talking we fell silent as I think I was dozing and then I heard her soft, sweet little voice. "Mommy, I love you. Thanks for helping me feel better." My frustration at my constant lack of sleep melted and I was glad I could give her a moment to appreciate me and that she expressed it. As moms we are always doing, always on the go, always thinking ahead, always giving, yet sweet moments like these are treasured away for me and for her. No matter the age our children will be I hope I can offer them solace with the only rewards being appreciation for one another.

Our little B at just over 2 years old, still just as sweet a sleeper now

An excerpt from one of the first books I read to B, and a gift from a wise great grandparent of hers, when she was far to little to understand anything more than my voice. We would lie on our backs together (she did not like her tummy) and I would hold it up and sing/read it while she looked on with wide eyes.

I'll love you forever,

I'll like you for always,

As long as I'm living my baby you'll be.

Robert Munsch

2 comments:

Nancy and Spencer said...

Precious.

Messimoo said...

So sweet! I LOVE that book. When are you guys coming???