Friday, May 4, 2012





Scotland 2:  Edinburgh and Stirling

Probably my very, VERY favorite thing about Edinburgh was the Indian dish I ate for dinner!  J helped me find something on the menu that wouldn't be too spicy for me--Coconut Chicken Korma with rice and it was probably one of the yummiest things I have ever had!  Once I finished the rice off I still had more chicken and it was delicious still burrito style with the Naan.  I've already tried replicating it but was disappointed and I'm quite sure I could never get it to taste as good as the restaurant.  Maybe if I write them begging for the recipe they'll give it....or maybe I'll have to go back...


Of course we also enjoyed Edinburgh Castle and seeing the Honours of Scotland, the crown jewels.  A room within the castle held a crown, sceptre and sword of state which are the oldest royal regalia in the UK.  It was really neat to enjoy the history of the city & royalty.


We walked along the Royal Mile from the castle to Holyrood and this is some of the cool things we saw along the way.  We went into one museum where they have what is believed to be the oldest chess pieces in the world.  Of course J was interested in that.  Also, I found a couple swords just my size.  And off the Royal Mile not too far is The Writer's Museum which celebrates the works of Robert Burns, Sir Walter Scott and Robert Louis Stevenson.  And it's housed in a impressive and elegant historic home of Lady Stair dating from 1622.


And of course we could not pass up a visit to Holyrood Palace, the official residence of the British monarch in Scotland.  Sadly, we couldn't take pictures inside and obviously couldn't tour the entire estate as the Queen does have private quarters since she frequently stays during summers.  We  found the gardens and the old abbey, founded in 1128, particularly enchanting and imagined going to a royal gala in the gardens.


I found this clock amusing, just outside the bus terminal.  We took the bus to Edinburgh one day and to Stirling the next and it made me smile every time we passed it.


In Stirling we went to the Wallace Monument, which I found more impressive than beautiful.  We saw the William Wallace sword and made it up all 246 steps to the top where it was so extremely windy that we snapped a pic and escaped as quickly as possible.  We walked through Stirling from the monument on one side to the Stirling Castle on the other and it proved to be a pretty quiet little town filled to the brim with cute little B&B's.


We found the layout of this cemetery just down the hill from the castle to be actually charming.  And Scotland loves daffodils!  So many pretty varieties of daffodils everywhere!!  We went back to Glasgow for dinner this night and that's when we ate at a yummy, yummy Spanish Tapas restaurant.  Next up:  Skye



No comments: