Sunday, September 11, 2011

Sad, sad day


I had to retire this beloved  towel yesterday after 20+ years of service.  My paternal grandmother made a towel for me and each of my siblings when I was probably 7-10 years old.  My mom might be able to research or remember exactly when we got them.  I LOVED my towel.  I thought grandma did the best on my towel, cuz she loved me most of course.  {I'm sure the others thought likewise.}  Purple was my favorite color, still is probably 75% of the time.  My grandmother passed away earlier this year and I remember her for being such an active woman.  She was always making crafts for us and she and my grandpa would drive down to Texas all the way from Montana in their pick-up and RV to spend time with us.  And she made such yummy food and sweets, she always had the coolest earrings and had some fantastic traditions.  Like hosiery for the girls every Christmas, trinkets in small little origami boxes made from Christmas cards, handmade kitchen towels to hang on the oven {that I now (mostly) learned how to make} and wearing very festive clothing.  I loved her and this is mostly why I loved this towel and used it for so long.  I use it all growing up, took it to college with me and on every move since.  I've known for a couple years now that I needed to let it go.  It was getting so threadbare (you can see through it there in the middle) that I could have dried myself with those brown paper towels and it would feel the same.  I've had a new towel sitting out for me for the past month since we've been in our new place, trying to work up the courage to let my special purple towel go.  After taking this picture my sweet husband kindly disposed of it for me but I felt better knowing that I had immortalized it with this picture.  Farewell dear towel.  Lost but not forgotten.  The memory of it will live on just as the memory of my sweet, dear grandma.  XOXO

No comments: